-

-

SMC Volleyball: Squad set to take on MIAA foe

Samantha Leonard | Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Saint Mary’s will look to shut down Calvin’s dominant offense as the Bells play host to first-place Calvin tonight.

Calvin (10-3, 5-0 MIAA) not only brings a first-place record into town, but also the reigning MIAA specialty player of the week, senior setter Katie Zondervan. This is the seventh time Zondervan has received the recognition.

She has an average of 14.56 assists per a game and led the Knights to two conference victories with 27 digs and five kills last week.

Belles head coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said her team is ready for a tough contest.

“I expect a great challenge,” Schroeder-Biek said. “It will be exciting. Calvin has some very solid, veteran players. They will run a quick offense, and we won’t be able to count on getting many unearned points.”

Another of Calvin’s veterans is senior middle hitter Molly Krikke, who received honorable mention for MIAA specialty player of the week honors. Krikke averages 4.65 kills to go with more than one block per game. She holds the team lead for blocks with 51 total this season.

Senior outside hitter Kristen Kalb is yet another veteran the Belles hope to contain. Kalb leads the team in total kills with 202 and averages 4.70 kills per game. She leads the team with nine services aces and contributes over four digs per game. She is a threat not only on defense but also on the attacking side.

The Belles (6-7, 3-3 MIAA) will look to disrupt the rhythm that has allowed the Knights to remain undefeated.

“We will need to do what we can to keep them off balance and pull them out of their game,” Schroeder-Biek said.

In order to keep the Knights off-kilter, the Belles must be in top form, but they do not plan to make drastic changes.

“We will be preparing for Calvin just like any other opponent,” Schroeder-Biek said. “We need to tighten up our game – take care of doing things right from our end – and remember that it takes work to achieve our goals.”

The Belles are 3-0 in conference play at home and hope they can keep the streak alive.

“We enjoy playing at home, so it never hurts to compete in surroundings that are familiar,” Schroeder-Biek said.

The Belles take on Calvin tonight at 7 p.m. at the Angela Athletic Facility.

The Belles play host to first-place Calvin tonight. Calvin has a record of 5-0 in the MIAA and 10-3 overall while Saint Mary’s is 3-3 and 6-7 respectively, good for now fourth place in the conference.

Calvin not only brings a first-place record into town, but also the reigning MIAA specialty player of the week, senior setter Katie Zondervan. This is the seventh time Zondervan has received this recognition. She has an average of 14.56 assists per a game, and led the Knights to two conference victories with 27 digs and five kills last week.

Belles head Coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said her team is ready for a tough contest.

“I expect a great challenge,” Schroeder-Biek said. “It will be exciting.  Calvin has some very solid, veteran players.  They will run a quick offense and we won’t be able to count on getting many unearned points,” explained Schroeder-Biek.

Senior outside hitter Kristen Kalb is yet another veteran the Belles hope to contain. Kalb leads the team in total kills with 202 and averages 4.70 kills per game. She leads the team with nine services aces, and contributes over four digs per game. She is a threat not only on defense but also on the attacking side.

The Belles will look to disrupt the rhythm that has allowed the Knights to remain undefeated.

“We will need to do what we can to keep them off balance and pull them out of their game,” stated Schroeder-Biek.

In order to keep the Knights off-kilter, the Belles must be in top form but do not plan to make drastic changes.

The Belles are 3-0 in conference play at home, and hope they can keep the steak alive.

“We enjoy playing at home so it never hurts to compete in surroundings that are familiar,” said Schroeder-Biek.