SUB provides chance for game tickets

Justin Tardiff | Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Many football-obsessed Notre Dame students might consider their college experience incomplete without a road trip north to the Big House in Ann Arbor or a flight out west to “shake down the thunder” over the USC’s Coliseum – and often, the Student Union Board facilitates lotteries for tickets to various away football games.

Though students were able to enter a lottery Monday to win tickets for the Sept. 15 game at Michigan, there will be no student lottery for tickets to Saturday’s game against Penn State.

Student response was high at the ID card swipe for tickets to the Michigan game. A line of students stretched through Legends during most of the event, which ran from 12 to 5 p.m.

A total of 1,715 ID cards were swiped, registering each card holder for the drawing of 98 winning lottery tickets. Each lottery ticket will entitle the winner to purchase a pair of tickets to the game. Students could to swipe up to four ID cards each at the registration, held at Legends.

The winning numbers will be posted on the SUB Web site Tuesday at 5 p.m., said Peter Biava, co-director of programming for SUB.

Students will then have until Sept. 13 to purchase their tickets from the LaFortune Box Office, he said. At that point, the remaining tickets will go on sale to students without winning lottery tickets.

Each ticket will cost $60, Biava said.

“This is Michigan’s price,” he said. “We sell completely at face value.”

Colin Ethier, an off-campus senior, expressed confusion about the lack of a lottery for Penn State tickets.

“I can’t imagine why we don’t have a lottery for this game because Penn State gives … tickets to the visitors,” Ethier said. “The only thing I can think would be maybe because of a huge demand from alumni.”

According to Biava, SUB was assigned to administer a few student lotteries before the current administration took office.

“I think the general idea is if it’s an away game that most students will be able to go to, those are the ones SUB will pick up,” Biava sad.

The process depends on the number of tickets the Athletic Department can get from an opposing team and how many tickets are then sold to SUB, he said.

“I think if we were able to logistically support a ticket lottery for every away game … it is feasible for students to go to, we would probably do that,” he said.

When asked if students would be interested in purchasing tickets for future games against Penn State, Ethier said: “Oh, absolutely.”