Two math scholarships awarded

The Clare Boothe Luce Program, which encourages women to pursue higher education in science, mathematics and engineering, recently awarded two Saint Mary's students scholarships for their achievements and interest in mathematics.

The Luce Program, part of the Henry Luce Foundation, bestowed grants totaling $220,000 to juniors Courtney Parry and Theresa Klinkhammer.

The award will cover all tuition and fees for the remaining two years of the students' undergraduate career.

Parry plans to attend graduate school and teach mathematics at the collegiate level. She encouraged other women to consider entering the field of mathematics.

"Mathematics is a unique, interesting, and multi-faceted field with many different career options," Parry said. "Approach the field of mathematics as you would approach a problem - be open to trying different strategies, don't be intimidated by the possibilities and always believe in yourself and your mathematical abilities. "

Parry said her professors at Saint Mary's have encouraged her interest in math.

"The professors enable the student to see the connection between the math courses and other fields of study," she said.

The scholarship enabled Parry to perform research over the summer, and she will deliver a presentation as part of the Pi Mu Epsilon student lecture series in November. Her focus will involve her general research on how mathematics is present in nature.

Klinkhammer, a mathematics and philosophy major, said she has studied math because of its ability to challenge her mind. Klinkhammer also studied abroad in Rome.

Klinkhammer said she appreciates the "unique one-on-one attention with the professors" at Saint Mary's.

"Every professor is willing to spend any time with you," she said.

The Luce Program invites colleges and universities to submit grant proposals to the fellowship program. The scholarships supported by the grant assist Saint Mary's College chemistry, computational mathematics or mathematics majors.

With additional funds supplied by Saint Mary's, the scholarships will cover tuition and fees, a book allowance and opportunities to engage in summer research projects, professional development activities and community outreach.

Luce, the founder of the scholarship program and the first woman elected to Congress from Connecticut, was a long-time friend of Sister Madeleva Wolff, the third president of Saint Mary's College.

Luce is the late widow of Henry Luce, the co-founder and editor-in-chief of Time, Inc.