Was it sarcasm?

As an alumnus of this University, I find that Mike Laskey's Viewpoint letter arguing that Notre Dame is a politically activist campus because students wore The Shirt on Friday ("Shirt solidarity day shows activism," Sept. 26) to be deeply embarrassing. Football at Notre Dame is woven into the social fabric of the University, and as such, Friday's show of support was directly involved with the social life of the student body. To claim that it is a sign of political activism, however, is a pompous presumption.

Meanwhile, late Wednesday night, news sources reported that the Myanmar government initiated a crackdown on peaceful pro-democracy demonstrations led by monks. China steadfastly refuses to allow even a resolution of condemnation pass through the U.N. Security Council as innocent civilians are being arrested and killed.

Show solidarity by choosing this Friday to wear orange in support of those monks and their battle for their lives and freedom in Myanmar. Rally outside of the Main Building in favor of higher wages for those people who feed and clean up after you every day. Until events like those regularly take place on campus, don't claim that because Notre Dame students are supporting other Notre Dame students, we've somehow overcome our political apathy. And don't ever place wearing The Shirt at an equal footing of overcoming adversity with those who are fighting in foreign lands for their basic human rights. Every time you do, it only serves as a clear example at how shamefully disconnected from the outside world some can become while at Notre Dame - a place where we're expected to be the best and brightest in this country.

Greg Dworjan

alumnus

Class of 2007

Sept. 27