Act like we've been there before

When I read Brad Duffy's article, I assumed that it had to be written by an innocent freshman who had not yet been completely baptized into the tradition that is Notre Dame football, one who did not understand our relationship to Boston College nor winning in general. To my dismay, this response was issued by a senior, one who should know better than to support such an endeavor. We are Boston College's aspirational peer. They are not ours. We expect to best Boston College in all facets, whether it is football or academics. To rush the field after the game would serve to legitimize our opponent as superior to us. There is no reason to feed fuel to the fire, this game already serves as Boston College's Super Bowl (this game is more important to them than an ACC Championship), while they are at best our fifth biggest rival.

In addition, I feel the need to comment on the celebration that occurred in Stonehenge after the UCLA game. This was an embarrassment in itself. We beat a team who lost to Utah 44-6. We beat a team that was forced to play a red-shirt freshman walk-on quarterback. I was disgusted to think that such an ugly win would incite such behavior in our student body. The reaction here on campus had to be similar to that occurring in Palo Alto the same night, except Stanford had just beaten the top team in the nation. This season has been tough, but our recent past was bright and the future is even brighter. We are Notre Dame. Our tradition is winning, and we expect to win every game. All I can say is that if we do indeed win on Saturday, follow the words that Coach Weis told his players after they scored against UCLA: "Act like you've been there before."

Andrew Checca

Class of 2007

South Bend

Oct. 10