Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Belles: Give me a reason

Dear Belles of Saint Mary's,

I have a proposition for you. If you do not enjoy reading the comics that appear in The Observer, simply do not read them. Actually, I have an even better idea. How about you, once and for all, break ties from this University, and start to exist on your own? The formation of your very own newspaper would be sure to be seen as a big step. While you're on that little kick, how about you start attending your own team's football games? Oh, you say you don't have a team? Well, tough luck then, I guess.

I, along with many others, am absolutely tired of hearing about how your feelings are hurt by a comic strip just about every month. Guess what? The same comics have made fun of just about everything here on campus in the past years, ranging from Charlie Weis and Monk Malloy to engineers and business students. I don't see two or three letters to the editor in this column every time a negative stereotype about engineering students is mentioned. Stop complaining and be happy that you are affiliated with the University of Notre Dame, before it is too late.

Obviously I understand that not all students at Saint Mary's feel the need to complain at every step; there are always diamonds in even the thickest rough. That is why I am going to put my own dignity on the line here. If anybody can come up with a valid argument as to why Notre Dame and its student organizations should continue to pander to Saint Mary's students, I will wear a Saint Mary's shirt to the game on Saturday. Here is your chance, go ahead and prove me wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm still going to be sporting my finest anti-Trojans gear this weekend.

Jordan Beltz

senior

off campus

Oct. 16