Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Club Sports: Squads continue seasons

Equestrian

The Notre Dame/Saint Mary's equestrian club opened IHSA competition this weekend in a show hosted by Purdue. Kelley Daniels was the reserve high point rider. Despite featuring many new members this year, the club managed a fifth-place finish at the show.

Lauren Desrosiers placed third in open fences, the best showing for the club in the advanced competition. Daniels won in novice fences, with teammates Katie Pietrucha, Heather LaDue and Jen Gilardi finishing third, fourth and fifth, respectively. Daniels also earned first place in novice flat. Laura Hale took second, LaDue was third, Andrea Kochert finished fifth and Maria Cardoso and Gilardi tied for sixth in that event.

Krista Jones gave the Irish their best performance in intermediate flat, riding to fourth place. Laura Divel finished sixth in advanced walk-trot-canter and Katrina Stewart also took sixth in walk-trot. In beginning walk-trot-canter, Catherine Germer and Tiffany Olier took second and third, respectively, to complete the Irish scoring.

The club will next compete Nov.10-11 at Saint Mary's of the Woods College.

Field hockey

A shorthanded Irish fell 3-2 to Miami (Ohio) this Sunday at Riehle field. With only one substitute available at the beginning of the game, an injury early in the second half left the squad with little relief. The Irish scored the only two goals of the first half, by Danielle Fedele and freshman Suzie Carlsen. Both scores were unassisted.

But in the second half, fatigue showed as the Red Hawks sent wave after wave of fresh players onto the field. Miami scored all three of its goals in the last six minutes of the game. The game-winner came with about a minute left.

Catherine Duffy was in goal for the Irish and finished with nine saves.