Group discusses taxi fares, green summit

Student task force chairs reported on plans that ranged from holding environmental meetings to fighting cab fee hikes during the Campus Life Council meeting Monday.

Sheena Plamoottil, chair of the Task Force on Campus Environment, said her task force is currently working on a University green summit. The first of three summits will take place Wednesday. No title or location was announced.

The purpose of the summit is for information sharing, Plamoottil said, and it will contain presentations from administrative, student and student government speakers.

She said an advantage of the summit is that it will "increase networking between environmental groups" on campus.

Student body vice president Maris Braun reported on the Task Force on Student Development. She said she will meet today with Associate Provost Dennis Jacobs, faculty co-chair for the Notre Dame Code of Honor Committee, along with other members of the Committee, to discuss student government initiatives and greater publicity for the Honor Code.

Braun said a possible publicity campaign will deal with the student pledge that reads, "As a member of the Notre Dame community, I will not participate in or tolerate academic dishonesty."

Her task force discussed the possibility of hosting a panel discussion during this year's Ethics Week to examine cheating from an ethical perspective.

Keenan senator Gus Gari presented on the Task Force on Community Relations, which examined issues related to student safety off campus.

A growing concern of the task force is how taxis charge students, Gari said.

Companies are charging more than the across-the-board $3 fare typically presented to students at presentations by groups like Pillars, discussing safe ways to return to campus, he said.

The task force is currently examining and evaluating the policies of local cab companies.

Gari also said he has looked at a University of Virginia publication titled "The Good Neighbor Guide," which describes how to live safely and responsibly off campus. The guide contains descriptions of ordinances pertaining to noise, trash removal and alcohol, according to the UVA Web site.

Gari said he hopes to apply these ideas to Notre Dame.

"Hopefully the students will see something [like this] in the near future," he said.

Student body president Liz Brown also encouraged members of the Campus Life Council to attend the University Forum Monday rather than their usual task force meetings.

"It's going to be a great event," she said.