Men's Intterhall Football - Blue League: Zahm, Sorin need win for playoffs

One team moves on, the other sees its season end.

That's what is at stake today when Zahm (1-1-1) takes on Sorin (1-2) at 8 p.m. at Riehle Fields. Both teams looked like improbable playoff teams, but with help from others, they still have a chance to make the playoffs with a win.

The Zahmbies know they will have to fix an anemic offense that has been able to score only six points in the last two games. However, Zahm senior captain Sean Wieland was happy with the effort that he saw from his offense in their last game against Siegfried.

"Siegfried was a pretty good team, and we hung in pretty well and fought hard in the trenches," Wieland said. "We ran the ball really well against them."

Wieland also recognized the passing game needs improvement.

"Our offensive line did a pretty good job protecting our quarterback." he said. "We just need to continue to improve upon our passing game."

Wieland believed that passion is what the Zahmbies need to win.

"As long was we come out and play hard, things will fall into place," he said.

Sorin hopes to continue their success from last week. It came out with passion and was able to keep its slim playoff hopes alive with a 24-0 win over Carroll.

The Otters hope to continue to rely on the power running game that helped them manhandle the Vermin last week and to repeat some of the passing they were able to use for great effect.

Fisher vs. Siegfried

Two undefeated teams will meet in their final regular season game tonight when Fisher takes on Siegfried.

Both teams are coming off close wins Sunday and hope to continue their streaks into the postseason.

Green Wave sophomore captain Bill Whitaker attributed his team's success to its tough defense.

"We've forced turnovers in pretty much every game," he said. "We want to keep doing the same against Siegfried."

Fisher battled its way to a 7-6 victory over Knott Sunday, improving its record to 3-0. The team relied almost completely on its passing game, with senior quarterback Kevin Rabil connecting with senior wide receiver Pat Gotebeski to move the ball downfield.

Whitaker expressed concern about the Green Wave's running game, however.

"We need to get our running game on track after last week," he said. "Our offense kind of struggled, so hopefully we can keep playing good defense while we work that out."

Siegfried, which comes into the game 2-0-1, is also a defensive team. The Ramblers defense sacked St. Ed's freshman quarterback three times in a 13-12 victory Sunday. Siegfried had given up a total of six points in its two games prior to facing the Stedsmen.

Both teams are likely to advance to the playoffs, which begin after fall break. If Fisher holds off the Ramblers, the Green Wave will most likely be the No. 1 seed in the Blue League.

"We're still focused on this week," Whitaker said. "The best preparation we can get is to win this game."

The two teams will meet at 7 p.m. at Riehle fields.