ND Women's Golf: After break, Irish look for fourth straight win

After an unprecedented 3-0 start for Notre Dame, a two-week break was a welcome distraction for the Irish.

"I think it was a good way for the girls to get caught up in their school work," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "I think they're relieved and were able to rest up over the break."

Now, the Irish, ranked No. 12 in the nation by Golfstat.com, look to start the season four-for-four at the three-day Lady Paladin Invitational at the Furman Golf Course in Greenville, S.C.

The field consists of 18 teams, six of which are ranked in the top 50. The Invitational will feature No. 34 Louisville, No. 36 TCU, No. 39 Augusta State, No. 44 Furman and No. 50 Mississippi.

Junior co-captain Lisa Maunu will tee-off in the No. 1 spot when the tournament begins today. Maunu shot a program record six-under-par 66 earlier this year and has finished all of th season's tournaments in the top 10 - including her overall victory in the Cougar Classic.

Teeing off from the No. 2 spot will be freshman So-Hyun Park, who has made an instant contribution in her first year at Notre Dame. Park leads the team with a 72.00 scoring average and three top-five finishes on the year.

The third spot belongs to freshman Katie Conway, who has averaged a 76.11. It is the highest position at which Conway has started this season.

Sophomore Annie Brophy will tee off fourth. Her scoring average of 75.89 has her in a tie for third on the team with fellow sophomore Kristin Wetzel, who will tee off in the fifth and final spot for Notre Dame.

Holt said her team has practiced well since its last competitive golf.

"I think the break was a great chance for some of the players to focus on some of their individual issues," Holt said. "I was encouraged by their response over the break."

Notre Dame had its practice round Thursday at the Furman Golf Course, where they got used to the course in preparation for the tournament.

"They played well today," Holt said. "I was impressed with their ball striking more than anything."

After the Lady Paladin Invitational, the Irish will head to Tuscaloosa, Ala., for the Ann Rhoads Intercollegiate from Oct. 26-28. That will be the last tournament in the fall portion of the team's schedule.

But for now, the Irish are trying to focus on what has given them early success this season.

"We've basically been keeping everything the simple and the same," Holt said. "I am of the philosophy that if it's not broken, why fix it? So we have been going about business as usual."