Self-defense class discussed

Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) debated Monday becoming a co-sponsor of an upcoming self-defense workshop for women.

Maura Clougherty, a member of the Residence Hall Association, introduced plans to host Erin Weed, the founder of Girls Fight Back, a safety and self-defense group for women.

Weed founded Girls Fight Back in 2001 after her friend was murdered, Clougherty said.

"She is teaching you the knowledge and to have the confidence to protect yourself," Clougherty said. "Erin Weed shows that women are their best protectors."

Weed travels and speaks to more than 100,000 women per year for the group, which provides free information to women who could not otherwise afford books or seminars on self-defense.

Weed's courses are somewhat unconventional, Clougherty said.

"It's different from other self defense classes," she said. "She is in a business suit and heels."

The program will be held on Nov. 6 in Carroll Auditorium at 7 p.m. and is free to students.

Barry Bowles, general manager of dining facilities, also spoke to BOG. He anwered some of the board's questions about nutritional information for meals in Noble Family Dining Hall.

"If you are looking for a nutritional source, it's there," Bowles said, referring to the Dining Hall's Web site.

The site includes nutrition facts and allergy information for all the meals at Saint Mary's, he said.

BOG membjers suggested putting more whole wheat pasta on the menu, adding fresh fruit as a dinner option and having chicken nuggets on the menu from time to time.

In other BOG news:

- Cassie Callon, the Student Activities Board coordinator, announced there will be a pumpkin carving contest on Oct. 29. It will be held in the West Wing of Noble Family Dining Hall from 7-9 p.m. Food and prizes will be awarded.

- Callon also said Sodexho will sponsor a "Go Belles" tailgate today from 4-7 p.m. by the soccer fields, and that the dining hall will be closed during those hours.

- Abby Hinchy, the Student Diversity Board president, said Latifa Oudghiri will discuss the Muslim holiday of Ramadan today at 6:30. The Al-Zahra Club is sponsoring the event, which will be held on the first floor of Cushwa-Leighton library.

- Hinchy discussed National Coming Out Day, which is Thursday. A panel of Saint Mary's students, faculty and alumni will discsuss tolerance at Saint Mary's at Dalloways today at 7 p.m. There will also be sidewalk chalk decorating Wednesday at 7 a.m. The library will hand out rainbow pins Thursday.