Seminar to be held for off-campus legal issues

John Tierney | Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Students considering off-campus residences next year can look forward to a legal seminar that will educate them in signing leases, being a good neighbor and tenant and avoiding eviction, senior Colin Feehan, chair of student government’s Community Relations committee, announced at the meeting of the Council of Representatives (COR) Tuesday.

The event – hosted by the Community Relations committee and scheduled for Oct. 17 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in the Montgomery Room of the LaFortune Student Center – is geared toward students currently living on-campus who are interested in moving off-campus next year. The seminar will also have information for people already living outside the dorms (especially juniors) who will continue to live off-campus next year.

The seminar will be taught by Professor Bob Jones, Notre Dame’s director of legal aid, who will be assisted by some of his law students, Feehan said.

He also asked COR to help the event’s organizers publicize the seminar.

“The posters are completed, and we’ll be handing them out in Senate tomorrow,” Feehan said.

Feehan said the PowerPoint presentation that will be used in the seminar will later be made available to students through the student government Web site.

Students who attend the seminar will receive complimentary Jimmy John’s.

Academic Forum followup

Student body president Liz Brown urged COR members to help continue the discussion on immigration started at Monday’s Notre Dame Forum.

“I would encourage you to bring continued dialogue from the Forum back to your groups,” she said.

COR members were generally impressed by the Forum’s setup and tactful handling of the nationally-debated topic.

“I liked how it wasn’t just one side versus the other,” Student Union treasurer Kadeja Gaines said.

“The Forum committee should be commended,” senior class president Bridget Keating said. “The publicity was very good.”

Brown said University President Father John Jenkins hopes the Forum will spark student interest in immigration-related issues in years to come. Brown and student body vice president Maris Braun will meet with Jenkins to discuss ways to continue the momentum and the conversation that began at the Forum.