Task forces address campus changes

Task force reports at Monday's meeting of the Campus Life Council addressed the campus energy summit, treatment of honor codes at peer universities, guidelines for community relations and the rules limiting the waiting time of cabs at Main Circle.

Lauren Sharkey, Hall Presidents Council co-chair, congratulated Student Body Chief Executive Assistant Sheena Plamoottil on the success of the Oct. 3 energy summit.

Plamoottil, who was not present at this week's meeting, is the chair of the Task Force on Campus Environment. Student body president Liz Brown presented a brief report in her place.

The Task Force on Campus Environment will assess the effectiveness of the energy summit, the first of three planned summits to take place this year, Brown said.

Student body vice president Maris Braun presented the report by the Task Force on Student Development.

After meeting with Associate Provost Dennis Jacobs, faculty co-chair of the Notre Dame Code of Honor Committee, Braun said she is working on ideas of how student government can help the committee raise awareness of the Honor Code.

She discussed the emphasis placed on the Honor Code at freshman orientation. The task force is researching treatment of honor codes at peer institutions such as Washington and Lee University, she said.

"We're hoping to move to have a big, symbolic statement," she said, mentioning the idea of a poster or a possible service at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart - where students, as a class, would sign the Honor Code.

Keenan Hall senator Gus Gari presented the report of the Task Force on Community Relations. He said he met with the chair of the Student Senate's Community Relations Committee to coordinate research on relevant topics.

The task force is continuing to compile research from the University of Virginia's Good Neighbor Guide, to which it is looking as a model for the creation of such a document at Notre Dame.

Brown added that she has been in contact with Virginia administrators, who said they were enthusiastic about Notre Dame using the Good Neighbor Guide as a basis for its own pamphlet.

Gari said the task force is seeking short-term solutions to the problem of taxis on campus, and it is researching the handling of the matter at other universities and colleges to search for a long-term resolution.

The Committee on University Affairs is looking into the problem of taxis being turned away or ticketed at Main Circle, Brown said.

She mentioned the possibility of setting up taxi stands at two ends of campus. That would create a "system for students to get off campus ... and back to campus safely," she said.