-

-

Time to get out of here

Christian Sagardia | Monday, October 15, 2007

Yeah, I said it. It’s time for me to graduate. When I think about that month of May in that year of 2008, I feel two things: Part of me wants to get out of here, and the other part of me wants four more years to experience things again. It’s not that I haven’t enjoyed myself here; on the contrary, these have been the best four years of my life. I’m just ready to move on.

Senioritis has kicked in. I don’t know why, but things that never annoyed me before now do. Freshmen are more obnoxious, dorm life has become cramped and my engineering classes haven’t gotten any easier. But, for those complaints, I see things around me that I will miss dearly: friends still being up at 3 a.m. to chat with, sitting in the student section for football games, pep rallies, all-nighters in Fitzpatrick, and midnight coffee breaks in LaFortune.

I remember back in high school, being a senior, wanting to graduate and go to college. By the spring of that year, I had been accepted to Notre Dame and other schools and had secured my future. My workload was easy, and I coasted through the end of high school. Now, I’m fighting an uphill battle rather than dashing through. The work hasn’t gotten easier, just more enjoyable. Rather than plowing through arcane mathematical equations, I’m designing and building things. I’m creating, rather than calculating. The math is there, but now I see the end result. Working through a differential equation takes on a whole new meaning when you realize why you’re doing it in the first place.

When I get into the “real world,” my degree will be put to good use (if I can find a job, naturally). I’m ready to get out there, ready to leave this behind and ready for the new day. I used to think that life ended at age 22 and graduation, but my perspective has drastically changed. There’s a whole new world out there, one waiting to be discovered and changed by us, the future generation.

I figure I should give some words of advice to those who will listen before I leave. Don’t get your knickers in a twist at everything. Laugh a little, get offended a little and don’t take everything too seriously. We’re all human, and no one is perfect. Eat pizza late at night, and find time to enjoy a good cup of espresso (Italy makes the best). Learn something that you wouldn’t find regularly among your academic studies. Drive off-road. And never forget, sometimes it’s good to color outside the lines. I mean it.

And if I’ve offended anyone reading this column, I’ve done my job correctly. Cheers!