Women's Interhall Football: Pangborn strives for playoffs, Lewis a win

Riding a four-game unbeaten streak and looking for continued outstanding performance from underclassmen, Pangborn hopes to clinch a playoff spot as it takes on Lewis Sunday at 5 p.m. on Riehle Field.

After an opening-game loss to Welsh Family, the Phoxes have bounced back, tying Badin and then beating Lyons and Pasquerilla West in consecutive games. The team added to its unbeaten streak Thursday by tying Breen-Phillips 24-24.

Though they expressed some disappointment after giving up an 18-point lead late in the game, the Phoxes are all but guaranteed a playoff spot now.

Lewis comes into the game at 1-2, its first win coming in last weekend's 6-0 victory over Breen-Phillips. However, the Chicks' game against Badin was postponed earlier in the season, so if they can get a win Sunday, the playoffs may be a possibility.

This year, Lewis has been led by sophomore quarterback Catherine Guarnieri, who threw a game-winning touchdown against the Babes.

Pangborn's stellar group of underclassmen, led by sophomore receiver and captain Meghan Bescher, will also carry the brunt of the load.

Pasquerilla West vs. Lyons

Sunday's matchup between Lyons and Pasquerilla West features two teams fighting for their lives. Both are on the cusp of the playoffs and a loss could mean somebody is going home.

Pasquerilla West continued its momentum from last season and defeated Breen-Phillips and Lewis in its first two games. However, it has since been slowed by back-to-back losses to Welsh Family and Pangborn.

The defending champions are led on offense by freshman quarterback Grace Orians, who has has accounted for all of the Weasels' touchdowns this year, both through the air and on the ground.

Pasquerilla West's superb defense has also created offense, recording numerous interceptions as well as a safety.

Lyons is in a similar situation as the Weasels after also losing to Welsh Family and Pangborn. Sophomore quarterback Claire Connell and freshman receiver Neva Lundy lead the Lions on offense.

That offense is complemented by staunch defense. Senior captain Judith Kaczmarek and senior safety Joanna Collins will look to force turnovers out of the Weasels and hopefully convert interceptions into touchdowns.

Lyons senior captain Katie Mackin could not be reached for comment Thursday.

This contest is crucial for both teams' playoff aspirations and should be well fought. Pasquerilla West and Lyons face off Sunday at 6 p.m. on Riehle Field.

Welsh Family vs. Badin

Welsh Family will go up against Badin this Sunday at 4 p.m. at Riehle Field in a contest with playoff-seeding implications on the line for one team and a possible playoff berth for another.

Undefeated Welsh Family could be playing for the No. 1 seed in the Gold League playoffs - which it currently has - while Badin could be playing for its playoff life.

Welsh Family senior captain Kelly Bushelle feels very confident about Sunday's game and the playoffs.

"We've been doing the same things in practice that we have done all year and are well prepared to play," Bushelle said. "We've worked on all aspects of the team, not anything in particular."

Bushelle also mentioned her junior quarterback, Jenni Gargula, who has led the offense and the team to five wins this year.

Badin's junior captain Katie Rose Hackney said there is still hope for her team to make the playoffs.

"We know that everything has to go our way the next two games, but we are going to play hard anyway and go out with confidence," Hackney said. "That's all we can do."

Hackney said the Bullfrogs hope to be the first to take down almighty Welsh Family. To do that, they knew they had to work hard in practice this week to finish plays in the end zone and capitalize on chances to score.

A Badin victory Sunday over undefeated Welsh Family would be quite the upset.