Athletes owe students loyalty too

I am writing with regards to the Navy football game this past Saturday. Of course, it was a tough loss and I am sure our team was discouraged and tired after the game. But after we students stood and cheered for over four hours and through three overtimes, I think we deserved to have the team raise their helmets to us as they have in years past. This season, it has only been one or two players a game, and after the Navy game it was none. Win or lose, we will always be there cheering because they are our team. I just really want them to give us that one gesture of thanks. We are loyal to them; I wish they showed their loyalty to us. So after the last few games of the season, I really and truly hope that the team revives this tradition.

The other instance of loyalty I wish to address is to Coach Weis. I know that many students and fans disagreed with his decisions during the game, but that is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the students to boo when the band played the 1812 Overture after the game. He is still our coach, no matter what. We still owe him respect, if not admiration. Loving Notre Dame football means being loyal when times are bad so that you deserve to be called a Notre Dame fan when times are good.

Anna Seghetti

sophomore

Lyons Hall

Nov. 4