Bad call, ushers

Letter to the Editor | Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The halftime marshmallow fight is a tradition Notre Dame students look forward to for three years. The morning of the last football game, seniors can be found all over campus finding creative ways to elude ushers and smuggle precious marshmallows inside – whether by shoving them down their pants or duct taping bags to their armpits, for Notre Dame students, when there is a will, there is a way. Despite the University’s best efforts, which included forcing students to remove clothing to gain entrance to the Stadium, Saturday’s marshmallow fight attracted more attention than the halftime show, proving that our beloved ushers had failed.

Not to be outdone, however, the ushers had a plan. Rather than make any attempt to stop the fight in action, confiscate marshmallows during the fight, or even display their displeasure, the five or six ushers in my section appeared to be enjoying the spectacle. The mood quickly changed when the students ran out of marshmallows and the fight calmed down, prompting ushers to switch gears and randomly choose at least 20 students to be kicked out of the game. When one student was asked why she was being kicked out of the stadium, an usher responded “we’re making an example out of you.” The usher then explained that they were plucking students off the ends of the sections since it was too hard to get the students in the middle. Clearly, law enforcement at its best.

I’ve heard many different arguments against marshmallow fighting: They are extremely hard to clean up, they can injure people if heavy objects are shoved inside, marshmallows landing on the field pose a safety hazard, etc. All I have to say is, graduating from Notre Dame is hard, too. Most people are smart enough not to put hard objects into marshmallows and as harsh as it may sound, I’m not terribly worried about Trevor Laws, Jimmy Clausen or anyone else being downed by a white fluffy projectile. I can understand taking away all the marshmallows you can find upon entering the stadium. I can understand kicking someone out for being hopelessly intoxicated and chucking marshmallows at the grandmas sitting in the neighboring general admission sections. What I cannot understand is sharing delight with students and then ejecting some at random, after they have spent over $100,000 to gain the honor of throwing a few harmless marshmallows. They say tradition never graduates, but news flash – we do. Those 20 students were robbed of their last home game, when the rest of us were just as guilty as they were. Ushers, we appreciate your hard work, but let’s face it: On Saturday it was you, not Charlie Weis, who made the bad call.

Katy SidrowseniorPasquerilla West HallNov. 18