Global poverty, a call for awareness

Fact: More than one billion people live on less than one dollar each day. Extreme poverty affects over a billion people on our planet. The effects of this hardship reach further than most realize. Poverty causes suffering such as insufficient housing and education, hunger, disease and political unrest. As Notre Dame students, we are given a unique roll in the fight against global poverty and the hardships it creates.

We have the responsibility to raise awareness, both on our campus and throughout this country. Awareness is the most effective way to promote a solution to extreme poverty and AIDS. The ONE Campaign is an American social movement designed to fight extreme poverty and global disease worldwide. ONE pursues this goal through a campaign of awareness, education and activism on campuses and in communities across our nation.

Notre Dame students can get involved in the ONE Campaign at Notre Dame by joining the Notre Dame ONE Campaign Facebook group, signing the ONE declaration and beginning to raise awareness on campus by wearing white ONE bands and T-shirts. Together, as ONE, we can demand vital changes in national attitudes toward fair trade, debt relief and international aid. Together, as ONE, we can do our part to make poverty history!

Joe Venturini

junior

Morrissey Hall

Nov. 13