Keenan presents philosophy event

Tae Andrews | Thursday, November 15, 2007

Keenan Hall will host a talk with philosophy professor Alasdair MacIntyre entitled “Why Philosophy Matters” tonight at 7 p.m. The event will take place in the basement of the dorm. The event was originally planned as a section event, but has since been broadened to include both the entire hall and any other interested people.

“Professor MacIntyre is one of the most renown philosophers and professors here at Notre Dame,” resident assistant Tae Kang said in an e-mail Tuesday. “He is truly a brilliant mind and has greatly impacted many students and academics.”

Kang said he organized the talk to stress the importance and enduring relevance of philosophy in social life, both here on campus and in the greater world.

“Often in the dorm, I hear lamentations of ‘Why do I have to read philosophy? What’s the point of reading these books by dead people? I don’t understand this,'” he said. “I wanted to address this view and show that philosophy is fundamental to how we function as a society and interact as humans.

“Philosophy matters because it is the foundation of our beliefs and views about the world. It is a great intellectual tradition handed down from men like Plato and Aristotle to Aquinas and Descartes to Mill and MacIntyre. We cannot have proper discourse without proper understanding of philosophy and truth.”

Contact Tae Andrews at tandrew1@nd.edu