Le Cêrcle français celebrates culture

Le Cercle français, Notre Dame's student French club, hosted a series of events in honor of National French Week or La semaine du français, this week.

It was started seven years ago by the American Association of Teachers of French, (AATF) to foster an appreciation for French culture in schools and communities, according to the AATF Web site.

Le Cercle's events followed the nationally-coordinated themes as designated by the AATF. They began Monday with a French food giveaway in LaFortune Student Center. The club offered popular French foods such as baguettes, brie and croissants to students passing through LaFortune.

On Tuesday, club members passed out French phrases and facts on handouts in LaFortune. Le Cercle met that evening at Reckers for "Mardi Café," where club members enjoyed French conversation.

The club's president, senior Amanda Bode, said she was pleased with the turnout of these events, especially with the notion of raising student awareness of French culture and National French Week.

Thursday night the club sponsored a performance by singer Tangi Colombel, along with the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, the Nanovic Institute for European Studies and the Arts and Letters Beyond the Classroom Initiative. Students and faculty gathered in LaFortune ballroom to attend Colombel's cabaret-style show.

The French-native performed an array of comedic songs about romance, Paris, several sad songs and a French rendition of "I Did It My Way."

During the show's intermission, Colombel walked around the ballroom and spoke with several faculty members. He actively engaged the audience and encouraged participation and dancing.

Bode credited French professor Catherine Perry for recruiting Colombel, who currently lives in Florida, to perform.

National French Week will conclude with an international dance party called "Eurodance" at Legends tonight at midnight. Le Cercle collaborated with the Italian Club to host the event.

Le Cercle officer Pia Mauro said the two cultural clubs' work together on the event "was really perfect timing."