Men's Basketball: Scott to sit out freshman year

Coach Mike Brey announced Thursday he will preserve a year of eligibility for freshman Carleton Scott by not playing him this season.

All NCAA athletes, once they enter college, have five years to complete four years of participation in a sport. A sixth year can also be granted to athletes based on extenuating circumstances.

Scott's ability to obtain a fifth year will be dependent upon approval from Notre Dame's Faculty Board of Athletics, which means he must be in good academic standing when he applies for the fifth year.

Brey said the extra year will give the 6-foot-7 Scott more time to develop this season behind the three big men currently ahead of him - sophomore Luke Harangody, senior Rob Kurz and junior Luke Zeller.

"I think that's best for him in getting stronger, and it's always a good decision academically," Brey said. "He can still practice every day against [Harangody, Kurz, and Zeller]."

If injuries dictate it, Scott could still see the floor this season, Brey said. But if the Irish stay healthy, he would like to preserve an extra year of eligibility for Scott.

The other freshmen on Notre Dame's roster - guard Ty Proffitt, forward Tyrone Nash, forward Tim Abromaitis, and walk-on guard Tom Kopko - will remain active, Brey said.

Brey said he considered preserving a year of eligibility for Abromaitis, but decided to keep him active because of his ability to shoot outside.

"Because Abromaitis is [a good shooter], and with what we lost [in guards Colin Falls and Russell Carter], we're still trying to find how to replace that. I think he needs to stay in the mix," Brey said.

The Irish defeated St. Ambrose last Friday and St. Edward's Wednesday in two exhibition games to kick off their season. Their next game is against Long Island on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Joyce Center.