ND Women's Swimming: Despite improvement, Irish drop two meets

Notre Dame showed significant improvement but still lost its dual meets to Northwestern and No. 16 Wisconsin this weekend at Norris Pool in Evanston, Ill.

The Irish fell 208-162 to Northwestern and 218-151 to Wisconsin, dropping to 1-5 in dual meets this season. It was Notre Dame's first meeting with the Badgers and eighth meeting with the Wildcats, who have a 5-3 advantage in the all-time series.

"We got in a big hole yesterday and the girls worked really hard to bring it home tonight," coach Carrie Nixon said. "Our girls swam some really great races tonight, despite having a slow start to the whole meet. Wisconsin is a really tough team so we were up against tough competition."

Highlighting the weekend for the Irish was freshman Sam Maxwell, who took the title in the 200-yard breaststroke and 100-yard breaststroke. Maxwell's 2:15.65 time in the 200-yard breaststroke and 1:03.31 time in the 100-yard breaststroke were both season bests for Maxwell and the Irish.

Freshman Amywren Miller finished third in the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:05.46, Notre Dame's second-best time on the season.

In the 1,650-yard freestyle, sophomore Lexie Shue and freshman Lauren Sylvester finished in the No. 2 and 3 slots, respectively. It was the first time Notre Dame participated in the 1,650-yard freestyle this season. Shue finished with a time of 16:47.67, and Sylvester ended in 16:51.76.

Freshman Lauren Parisi finished third in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:01.15. This was also a season best for both Parisi and the Irish.

Junior Christa Riggins reached a personal season-best, taking second in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 51.15. Riggins also finished second in the 200-yard freestyle with a 1:50.62 time.

The diving half of the team put up impressive numbers. Sophomore Natalie Stitt took second in the one-meter diving competition with a score of 275.55, falling just short of Northwestern leader Leanne Dumais, who scored a 278.80. Notre Dame freshman Heidi Grossman and senior Laura Rings also finished in the top five, placing third and fifth, respectively.

The Irish hope to get a little rest this week after a long stretch of tough competition.

"We've had a lot of meets in a row here so having next week off will be great," Nixon said. "The girls are a little beat down and each meet we've had this fall has been really tough so week after week they're swimming as hard as they can."