Sunday, May 12, 2024

ND Women's Tennis: Strong finish for fall season

Notre Dame finished its 2007 fall season by sweeping William and Mary in singles play in Virginia this weekend.

Irish coach Bobby Bayliss got what he was looking for; the team played well from top to bottom throughout the four-day tournament.

In singles, junior Brett Helgeson continued his dominating with a win over William and Mary's Alex Cojanu 6-4, 7-5. Helgeson and senior Sheeva Parbhu combined for a win in doubles over Keziel Juneau and Dominic Pagon of William and Mary. The Irish teams of David Roth and Stephen Havens, and Tyler Davis and Santiago Montoya also earned doubles wins on Friday.

Parbhu defeated Juneau 6-4, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.

In the third singles flight, freshman David Anderson won when William and Mary's Richard Wardell retired. Anderson was leading 7-5. 2-0.

Fellow freshman Tyler Davis squeaked out a win over Ben Wirth in three sets. Davis also finished Friday with a win over Varun Pandit 6-1, 6-2.

Santiago Montoya beat Ben Gullickson 6-0, 6-4.

On Saturday, Bayliss gave Helgeson a rest and played Parbhu in No. 1 singles slot, where he fell to Amit Imbar of Maryland. Helgeson returned for doubles play, where he and Parbhu lost to Imbar and Boris Fetbroyt 8-6.

"Helgeson pulled an abdominal muscle in his round of 16 match and it affected his play this past weekend," Bayliss said.

Anderson pulled out another win over Fetbroyt 6-4, 5-7, 10-8. Stephen Havens also won in the second flight singles draw.

Daniel Stahl and Davis each pulled out wins in the third singles flight. Anderson and Havens were the only doubles team to come away with a win Saturday, beating their opponents 8-6.

The Irish swept the singles titles. Parbhu won the first singles flight, Havens won the second and Davis won the third. The doubles team of Anderson and Havens also combined to win the third doubles flight.

Notre Dame will now hit the gym for the winter months before starting their spring season on January 20 against the Penn State Nittany Lions.

"We will have individuals for two hours a week, and lift and condition," Bayliss said. "Our strength coach is great. The competitive balance on the team will keep the guys working hard."