Officers arrest 21, ticket 13

Police arrested 21 people and issued 13 more arrest tickets before, during and after the Duke-Notre Dame game Saturday, said Phillip Johnson, director of the Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP).

Working with the Indiana State Excise Police, the St. Joseph County Police and the South Bend Police, NDSP made 21 custodial arrests for alcohol-related offenses, most of which were for public intoxication. Some arrests were made for minor consumption of alcohol and minor intoxication, Johnson said in an e-mail to The Observer Monday.

Those arrested were taken to the St. Joseph County Jail.

Three people were taken by ambulance to a local hospital due to high levels of intoxication, Johnson said.

Police cited four juveniles for underage consumption of alcohol, and issued 12 arrest tickets to adults and the final ticket to a juvenile; the offenses were for alcohol-related offenses such as minor consuming and minor in possession of alcohol, Johnson said.

Four of these people were taken to the St. Joseph County Jail for public intoxication, Johnson said.

In Notre Dame Stadium, five people were asked to leave for violating stadium rules regarding alcohol, Johnson said. Alcohol is prohibited within the Stadium.

"NDSP works with area police officials for the home football games to promote a family-friendly environment on campus, including parking areas," Johnson said.

Johnson said in his e-mail that Cappy Gagnon, the coordinator of stadium personnel, reported that 82 people were removed from the stadium for violating rules that prohibit throwing objects in the stands. Many students in the senior section threw marshmallows during halftime to mark the last home game at Notre Dame Stadium for the 2007 season.