Police make 12 arrests, ask 8 to leave

Police made 12 arrests and issued 22 arrest tickets during and around the time of the game against Air Force on Saturday, said Phillip Johnson, director of the Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP).

Along with the Indiana State Excise Police, St. Joseph County Police and the South Bend Police, NDSP made 12 arrests for alcohol-related offenses, Johnson said Monday in an e-mail to The Observer. The arrests were mostly for public intoxication and some were for minor consumption of alcohol and minor intoxication, Johnson said.

Those arrested were taken to the St. Joseph County Jail.

NDSP arrested one man for public intoxication on campus during the game, which began at 2:30 p.m. The man was taken into custody and transported by police to a local hospital due to his level of intoxication, Johnson said.

Following treatment at the local hospital, the man was taken to St. Joseph County Jail.

Police also issued 22 arrest tickets to adults for alcohol-related offenses like minor consumption or possession of alcohol.

Eight people were asked to leave Notre Dame Stadium for violating stadium rules regarding alcohol, Johnson said. Alcohol is prohibited within the stadium.

During the game, four people were issued no trespass notices for failing to follow University rules regarding tailgating, he said. Tailgating is prohibited during the game.

Johnson said NDSP and area police forces will be present for the final home football game against Duke on Nov. 17.