Re-evaluating “teachings” on homosexuality

Letter to the Editor | Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I read Mary K. Daly’s letter (“Campus, Catholicism, and homosexuality,” Nov. 13) on the Catholic approach to including homosexual students with great interest, but also with some puzzlement. She reiterates a point made by many in regards to this issue, which is that the Catholic Church does not consider homosexual people to be exceptionally flawed as human beings because they, just as everyone, were made in the image of God. However, as her letter states, “The Church does teach that homosexuality is intrinsically disordered and thus, for a person of homosexual orientation to act on those homosexual tendencies, to embrace the homosexual lifestyle, is morally sinful.” I find it somewhat hard to swallow the attempted divide between a theoretical concept that is homosexuality and a living being, in this case a person, who is homosexual. My understanding (and someone please correct me if I am perpetuating a misinterpretation) is that conceptual homosexuality is an evil something-or-other, but when applied to a person, it is somewhat less evil because people are made in God’s image, and God just chose to make them gay as well. Pardon the cliché, but this seems to be a rhetorical attempt on the part of the increasingly politically correct Church to have one’s cake and eat it, too.

Can the idea of homosexuality even be coherent when divorced from the very context, i.e. life forms of two distinct sexes, from which it originates? If someone can formulate a clear explanation of what homosexuality is without making reference to a member of God’s creation, my mind will be set at ease. If not, then it must be admitted that to say the state of homosexuality is intrinsically disordered or evil is to say that God has created some beings who are intrinsically disordered or evil. And that’s not good news for anyone. The gay Catholics suddenly become anathema, and the leftover Catholics now must deal with the idea of a God who pulls dirty tricks akin to saying that the state of left-handedness is inherently disordered, then turning around and creating a bunch of left-handed people who, because of their God-given debility, must never be allowed to act upon their wicked impulse to write lest they threaten the sanctity of literature.

Nikki Huiras

Badin Hall

Nov. 13