Right to Life club schedules events

The Right to Life club at Saint Mary's is hosting a number of events this week to increase awareness of life issues for Respect Life Week.

"We do a lot of pro-life things in terms of abortion," secretary Meg Ryan said, "but that's not all we're about."

The group's events will go beyond than the group's anti-abortion stance and showcase a respect for human dignity.

"We're about racism, poverty and war, as well," Ryan said. "The human dignity of every person needs to be respected."

The group hopes the week will raise awareness of human dignity in all its forms.

"I think [the attitude towards life at Saint Mary's] is sorely ignored," Ryan said. "It's not concentrated enough and scares people away."

Right to Life president Clare Albright suggested the campus is filled with latent interest in life issues.

"I'm sure [the issue of being pro-life] is within a lot of student's hearts," she said, "but they don't take a stand."

Ryan said she doesn't think students are supported to take a stand on pro-life issues on campus.

"It's hard for people to take a stand on something that they're not encouraged to take a stand on," she said.

There are about fifteen students who are visibly active in the group Albright said.

"We're definitely present, and definitely evident," she said.

Respect Life Week Events:

u Tuesday, Nov. 13 - Pray the Living Rosary at 8:30 p.m. on Library Green

u Wednesday, Nov. 14 - Pro-Life speaker Lisa Everett at 7:00 p.m. in Vander Vennet Theater in the Student Center

u Thursday, Nov. 15 - Showing of 'It's a Wonderful Life' at 8:00 p.m. in Vander Vennet Theater in the Student Center

u Friday, Nov. 16 - Day of Silence to recognize all the lives that haven't been respected