-

-

SMC parking raises funds for athletics

Katie Staak | Tuesday, November 20, 2007

As cars streamed into South Bend for football games this fall, sports teams at Saint Mary’s raised money by coordinating parking on the College’s campus, said Director of Athletics Lynn Kachmarik.

The teams raised an average of $6,000 to $12,000 each home football weekend, which goes to cover athletic expenses incurred by Saint Mary’s teams.

Freshman Andrea Sasgen, a volleyball player, parked cars for the Notre Dame-Air Force game date.

“It was fun, but I don’t think we raised as much as other teams,” she said.

Many of the teams spend their fundraising money on team apparel and traveling expenses during away games and tournaments. The money from football parking is divided evenly between the teams.

“It’s a wonderful fundraiser for the whole athletic department,” volleyball coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said. “It raises money for all of our athletes. It helps fund all of our programs and helps to offset all the travel expenses, which were horrible this year.”

The better the football season Notre Dame is having, the more people come in for the games, and the more money Saint Mary’s raises, Kachmarik said.

All the money goes to the teams to support events like training trips, assistant coaches’ salaries and equipment, she said.

“We do have to pay some extra security expenses to help to get cars off campus after the game,” Kachmari said.

The teams’ game-day mornings start at about 7:30 a.m. The teams park cars on the campus for a $20 fee until one hour prior to kickoff. Saint Mary’s is approximately two miles away from Notre Dame Stadium.