SMC to unveil rally T-shirt

The Board of Governance is promoting a new T-shirt for Saint Mary's students to wear during the College-hosted pep rally before the Nov. 17 football game against Duke.

The shirt will be unveiled Nov. 15 at 8 p.m. in the Atrium of the Student Center, Board of Governance secretary treasurer Courtney Kennedy announced at the BOG meeting Monday.

Two surprise guests from Notre Dame will be at Saint Mary's to unveil the shirt, which is modeled after Notre Dame's The Shirt.

"I think it is really nice to have an SMC shirt that is in support of Notre Dame," Kennedy said later Monday night. BOG is encouraging students to wear it to the Saint Mary's co-hosted Duke pep rally on Nov. 16.

Inspiration for the shirt came in early October.

"We were talking about how the pep rally attendance has been disappointing, and we wanted to give some incentive for SMC students to go to the pep rally we are co-hosting," Kennedy said.

The BOG has sold more than 600 shirts, though no purchasers have known what it will look like. Few clues have been given about the shirt's appearance, but it is the same color green as the Notre Dame shirt.

Kennedy attributes the high sales to the cost, $5 per shirt, and Saint Mary's students spreading the word.

"We are expecting a big turnout," she said.

The pre-ordered shirts will be handed out after the unveiling.

In other BOG news:

u It is business week at Saint Mary's, student body vice president Kelly Payne said, and there will be events every day this week except Thursday. Wednesday night will be movie night in Science 105 at 7:30 p.m. On Friday morning, there will be Panera bagels in Le Mans lobby from 8 a.m. to 10:30.

u Student Activities Board coordinator Cassie Callon said there will be a spa day on campus before exams Dec. 16. Activities will be free to Saint Mary's students.

u Residence Hall Association president Cassie Quaglia said the week leading up to the Saint Mary's pep rally will be Hall Spirit Week. Each day will have its own theme.

u Quaglia also said that the "Girls Fight Back" program will be today at 7 p.m. in Carroll Auditorium. Erin Weed will be the speaker.

u Student Diversity Board director Abby Hinchy said the Hunger Banquet will be on Nov. 14 at 5:30 p.m., rather than 6 p.m., as was previously announced. Students will be able to sign up during dinner Friday, Monday and Tuesday in the dining hall, and the day of the banquet during lunch. All proceeds will go to a charity organization of the board's choice.

u Alumnae commissioner Christine Darche reminded the board that the Career Insights Expo will be from 4 p.m. to 6 Tuesday.