Students get cultured at art show

More than 100 students dined on cheese and crackers and listened to classical music as they viewed student artwork on display Thursday at the Badin Hall art show.

The show, hosted by Badin's Academic Commission in the hall's social space, is the dorm's annual event.

Sophomore Brandy Mader, Badin Hall's academic commissioner, said 22 participants submitted 45 works of art this year.

"We were pretty surprised by the response," she said. "We got a lot more [works] than expected."

She was also pleased with the quality and diversity of works received.

"I think we got a good variety of stuff, including a table, which was our most unique entry," Mader said.

Chris Andrews, a first-year photography graduate student; Adam Fung, a third-year painting graduate student; and Gina Costa, a marketing and public affairs specialist for Notre Dame's Snite Museum, judged the art and decided the winners.

Freshman Affandi Setiawan won and received a $100 prize for his Indonesian fashion photography.

A second place prize of $75 went to sophomore Garrett Coggon for his black and white landscape photography, and junior Adri Nott came in third place, receiving $50 for her spray paint and oil pastel painting.

Runners-up included senior Amelia Hirschauer for her ultrachrome print and freshman Danielle Filgueira for her three-dimensional etching on Japanese paper.

Coggon said he has been interested in photography since high school. As a biology major, though, he said taking photos is a hobby.

His work includes pictures of St. Louis and his hometown, Traverse City, Mich. The frames around the photograph are also a part of the work.

"They are actually pantry doors from a farm house," Coggon said. He entered the show "on a whim. ... [The photographs] were hanging in my dorm room. I heard about the art show and figured I could do without them for a couple of weeks."

Sophomore Mary Cecilia Mitsch also submitted a piece to the show.

Her "ink graphic" creatively displays a watch with "parietals" written on the band. The piece was originally created for her graphic design class.

"We were supposed to combine an object and a word in a clever way," Mitsch said. "I thought that a lot of students could relate to parietals."

The show was designed to give the Notre Dame community a greater sense of artistic appreciation.

"The Badin art show is an outlet for the artists of Notre Dame to unleash their artistic capabilities in a setting that is both embracing of their talents and open to the spirit of beauty and truth," junior Claire McGathey said.

All works of art will be on display until Dec. 5 in Badin's social space.