Time for Charlie to go

After yet the latest shameful coaching performance by "genius" Charlie Weis, it's clear that it's time for him to leave. This isn't (just) about losing; this isn't (just) about five straight home losses and being on pace for one of the worst records in school history; this isn't (just) about his losing the 43-game winning streak against Navy.

It's about how unprepared the team looks every week. Navy's offense runs the triple option on every play - why did the defense look confused throughout the first half? Even beyond that, this is about the puzzling and stupid playcalling decisions Weis makes every game. Fourth-and-15 and up by seven? Fake field goal! A one-point lead with 10 minutes left and a successful running attack? Let's pass the ball! Fourth-and-8 with less than a minute left in a tie game deep in the opponent's territory? Go for it!

Weis is an excellent recruiter: There is no question about that. But good recruiting and good players will never win with horrendous game plans, schizophrenic depth chart decisions and awful in-game adaptations. The University needs to thank Charlie for his service, and ask him to leave. If he refuses, I'm sure there are enough enraged alumni to buy out his contract. Anything to stop the bleeding.

Stephen Mann

junior

Stanford Hall

Nov. 3