Cafe may stay open past 10 p.m.

The possibility of extending Student Center hours for the rest of the semester dominated discussion at the Board of Governance (BOG) meeting Monday night.

Sarita Fritzler, chief of staff, reported to BOG members a conversation she had with Vice President for Student Affairs Karen Johnson about extending the hours of the Student Center, which is normally open until 10 p.m.

Johnson said she is interested in extending the hours, Fritzler said. Johnson said she would be willing to keep the Student Center open until 2 a.m. during finals week. The Cyber Café may also remain open until 12 a.m., she said.

Fritzler said Johnson proposed providing coffee from 12 a.m. to 2 a.m. after the Café closes.

If attendance is high during finals, the hours may be extended permanently, Fritzler said.

BOG is encouraging students to use the Student Center to study. The Board is also opening the student government office for students during the late hours.

Woman's Studies commissioner Renee Woodward said stories are now being accepted for the upcoming series of monologues about Saint Mary's.

The committee is seeking only stories about positive relationship experiences, she said.

Student trustee Cate Cetta said the new Strategic Plan is finished. The plan details changes the administration hopes to enact during the next five years, she said.

The students had an important voice in creating the plan, said Kim Hodges, student body president.

"It's for us and by us," she said.

The Residence Hall Association (RHA) will support a local family during the Christmas season, said Cassie Quaglia, RHA president.

Each residence hall will sponsor one of the family's four children. Every student is asked to donate so the halls can buy the children presents, Quaglia said.

The Office for Civil and Social Engagement is sponsoring the 12 Days of Christmas at SMC. There are different festivities every day. The Junior Board will sell candygrams Wednesday through Friday in the atrium of the Student Center.

Quaglia said there will be a spoons tournament in Regina Hall from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Dec. 13.

The freshman formal will be held Jan. 26, said Emma Hoffman, president of the Class of 2011.