Task force leaders discuss second-semester goals

Jennifer Metz | Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Student body president Liz Brown encouraged all task forces to make recommendations to the Office of Student Affairs requesting support for task force initiatives Monday at the last meeting of the Campus Life Council this semester.

The reports should be delivered if the task forces “feel it’s appropriate,” Brown said.

“Reports like that, if well researched, would be a great contribution to Student Affairs,” she said.

Brown’s comment came after Gus Gari, chair of the Task Force on Community Relations, announced his plan to make recommendations to Student Affairs about ways to improve community relations.

The recommendations, “still in the brainstorming stage,” will most likely contain a three- to five-year plan, he said.

Gari said he is in discussions to produce a Notre Dame-specific version of the “Good Neighbor Guide” produced by the University of Virginia. South Bend Common Council members cited the UVA guide during hearings about the event permit ordinance passed earlier this semester.

Next semester, the task force will focus on transportation to and from campus, Gari said.

Chief executive assistant Sheena Plamoottil and student body vice president Maris Braun, leaders of the other two task forces, also presented their groups’ goals for next semester.

Plamoottil, the chair of the Task Force on Campus Environment, said the third of a series of three green summits will be held early next semester.

The summit will consist of a dinner and small group sessions of seven or eight to discuss environmental issues. Invitations “should be going out,” she said. “This will be more formal.”

Braun, chair of the Task Force on Student Development, said she met with the student co-chair of the University Code of Honor Committee to discuss passing off responsibilities of Honor Code-related topics from the task force to the committee. The task force had discussed holding an awareness week about the Honors Code.

Braun said the committee has “similar ideas and more programs” to make it better suited to organize events and address awareness of the Honor Code.

“[The initiative] more naturally fit with a committee under the provost’s office than a task force on student development,” she said.

Next semester, Braun’s task force will focus on gender issues at Freshman Orientation activities.

“We hope to improve gender relations for students from their start at Notre Dame,” she said.