-

-

Hine elected 2008-09 Observer editor-in-chief

Sam Davis | Monday, January 28, 2008

The Observer General Board elected sports editor Chris Hine as the 2008-09 editor in chief Saturday.

Hine, a junior history major and journalism, ethics and democracy minor from West Pittston, Penn., joined The Observer as a sports writer during the fall of his freshman year. He started by covering Interhall football and since then has covered Notre Dame swimming, track and field, women’s golf, women’s tennis, men’s basketball and football.

“I feel very honored and hope I can live up to the high standards of the editor-in-chiefs I’ve worked under during my time here,” said Hine, who lives in Fisher Hall.

As one of The Observer’s two sports editors this year, Hine learned to manage a department and work with new reporters “to write the best stories possible, to make the best sports section that you can,” he said. The position, he said, gave him the experience he needs to run the paper.

“I have confidence in Chris’s ability to lead The Observer next year,” outgoing editor-in-chief Maddie Hanna said. “He has a wealth of great ideas and an excellent relationship with the staff.”

During his tenure, Hine said he hopes “to bring an in-depth look at our campus and get people talking about what goes on at Notre Dame.”

Hine will take over as editor-in-chief on February. 25.