Marathon planners request funds

Pauline Kistka and Francesca Johnson, Saint Mary's dance marathon organizers, attended the Board of Governance's (BOG) meeting Tuesday asking for funding for the upcoming event, which has raised more than $68,000 in two years for Riley's Children Hospital.

In its third year, organizers are looking to finance the marathon without resorting to money collected from registrants so far this year.

"We feel it is our responsibility to raise the money without dipping into the money we have raised for the hospital," Kistka said.

The marathon, which has a staff of about 75, was recently voted the "Best New Dance Marathon" in the country by the Children's Miracle Network. Participants pay a $12 registration fee and provide the addresses of people they believe might donate money. Event organizers then send a letter to each address asking for a contribution.

The dance will be held from 8 p.m. on April 4 to 8 a.m. on April 5 in the Angela Athletic Facility at Saint Mary's. More than 150 dancers have already registered, and organizers are hoping to get as many as 400.

After their presentation, Kistka and Johnson submitted a proposal to BOG requesting funds for the marathon. Board members did not discuss the proposal during Tuesday's meeting.

In other BOG news:

- Elections commissioner Maggie Siefert confirmed that juniors Mickey Gruscinski and Sarah Falvey were elected the 2008-09 student body president and vice president, respectively.

- Sophomore parents weekend will be held Feb. 15-17, sophomore class president Camille Gilbert said.

- Athletics commissioner Noreen Sherrard said the first - and only - home swim meet for the Belles will take place at 6 p.m. on Feb. 1 in the Rolfs Aquatic Center at Notre Dame.

- Cassie Quaglia, president of the Residence Hall Association, said Little Sibs Weekend will be held Feb. 22-24.

- The all-school formal will be held this Saturday at the Palais Royale, Quaglia said. There will be a bus to drive attendees to and from the dance.

- The new Heritage wall will be unveiled Thursday at 2:15 p.m. in the basement of the Student Center, missions commissioner Mary Frantz said.