Men's Lacrosse: Laxers feel good about scrimmage

Notre Dame began its first competition of the year Sunday by putting on an impressive performance in an exhibition against Robert Morris.

The Irish, ranked fifth in the Lacrosse Magazine preseason poll, controlled the scrimmage from the outset. While score was not kept for the contest, Notre Dame coach Kevin Corrigan said the team "got up early" and never let up.

Corrigan said he was pleased with the team's overall performance against the Colonials.

"We haven't had a chance to break down the film yet, but I thought we did a pretty good job of playing at a good level and playing there consistently," he said.

With several players unable to play in the scrimmage, the Irish showed their depth with many players contributing on both ends.

"It's nice to know we have guys ready to step in and give us that depth down the stretch," Corrigan said.

Robert Morris, which is in just its fourth season as a varsity squad, put forth a strong effort but failed to find much success against the Irish.

"They're still a growing program," Corrigan said. "I think they tried to force a few things early that didn't help them."

The Irish displayed a balanced offensive attack, and also had many defenders making plays.

"We executed well on a lot of things we had worked on," Corrigan said. "We saw that we did those things pretty good and are ready to take on more."

Notre Dame has a final tune-up Sunday with an exhibition against Bucknell before beginning the regular season Feb. 16 against Loyola.