-

-

Men’s Swimming: Swimmers ready to challenge Cardinals

Joe Meixell | Friday, January 18, 2008

With a 1-1 record in 2008 and a 3-4 record on the season, No. 22 Notre Dame will host Louisville tonight at 5 and then hit the road to Evanston, Ill., where they will take on No. 18 Northwestern Saturday.

“The meets this weekend are really important. The meet against Louisville is an especially big one,” Irish coach Tim Welsh said.

Though the Irish lost their first match of the New Year against LSU 167-95, they rebounded and won their first home match of the season last weekend against Oakland. The Irish dominated the Golden Grizzlies and snatched first place in 10 events, resulting in a final score of 174-126.

Leading the Irish to the victory against Oakland were sophomore John Lytle, sophomore Ross Moore, and junior Michael Bulfin – each with two victories.

Lytle snagged top honors in the 200- and 100-yard freestyle races with times of 1:41.08 and 46.27, respectively. Moore dominated the 200 and 100 butterfly races with times of 1:51.59 and 50.44, respectively.

Mwanwhile, Bulfin controlled the diving boards, winning both the three-meter and one-meter events.

In the second meet of the weekend, the Irish will face Wildcats senior Kyle Bubolz, who is the reigning Big Ten swimmer of the week.

The Irish met with both of this weekend’s opponents in the 2006-07 season. Notre Dame lost to the Wildcats 167-131 but beat the Cardinals 146-94.