SMC hosts weeklong heritage celebration

Students, faculty and staff will commemorate the College's heritage through a week-long series of movies, speeches and a closing dinner on Friday.

The College's third Heritage Week kicked off Sunday with a Beatification Mass at the Church of Loretto.

"Heritage Week is one of the most salient events hosted by [Board of Governance] because it continues the traditions of the college as well as communicates the history to the student body," Hodges said. "In an effort to keep the spirit of who we are alive, the knowledge of who we are now and who we have been must be linked."

Student Body president Kim Hodges, along with the rest of BOG, has changed the events for the week to encourage more student participation, she said. Rather than the book signing and speakers included in last year's week, this week's celebrations will include a dance performance and ice cream social.

The Heritage Dinner at the end of the week and a few minor events, however, remain unchanged.

"The entire week should be jam packed," she said. "We are optimistic that there will be a greater participation rate than last year."

This year's theme is "An Affair to Remember." The beatification of Basil Moreau is also emphasized, Hodges said.

"The beatification of Father Moreau is of great importance within the context of this Heritage Week because he was an innovative and inspirational leader of the college," she said. "So, with the celebration mass, the scavenger hunt and presentations his spirit will live on through the students of the College."

On Monday, there will be a college scavenger hunt, a display in the Student Center Atrium and a French-themed dinner. On Tuesday, there will be a lecture and discussion on major historical events and their relation to the College. The week will culminate with the annual Heritage Diner in Stapleton Lounge.

"Celebrating and embracing the essence of who we have been since 1844 until now will keep the vivaciousness in the student population," Hodges said.

Hodges is optimistic about the week's events and hopes for increased student participation.

"I hope Heritage Week is a week-long of meaningful and joyous events that will get many students involved in the past and current occurrences of the college," she said.