Truth, lies and politicians

I was impressed to see that Andrew Nesi could muster up some righteous indignation over the fact that politicians lie. Of course, his brilliant exposé on the matter simply shocked me. Politicians are not entirely truthful? Can I still believe that Bill Clinton did not have sex with that woman? That W is a uniter, not a divider? That Richard Nixon is not a crook? That George Bush the Elder would not raise taxes? That Thomas Jefferson would not expand governmental powers? What a shame that, given the impressive record of truthiness in American presidents, today's candidates refuse to uphold this tradition.

Unfortunately, I believe that Mr. Nesi forgot two examples of political dishonesty in this year's campaign from his preferred candidates. In an act that I am sure was completely accidental, Mr. Nesi forgot to mention that Barack Obama's claims of bi-partisanship don't stand up to the light of his voting record.

He also forgot that John McCain has lied about never receiving pork for his state. In truth, every single one of the candidates has lied at least once. It's a part of the process, and it will continue to be so until Americans learn to appreciate disappointing truths.

Perhaps, instead of focusing on campaign promises, we should focus on a candidate's voting record or gubernatorial achievements. It would be wise to base any presumptions on what a candidate would do in office off his or Hillary's deeds instead of their words.

Candidates lie. It's the way they all play the game. Don't vote for the candidate who can delude you the most into thinking they are an honest and upright individual. Vote for the person that has best acted out your own beliefs on government in their political careers, whether that individual is named Clinton, Obama, Romney, McCain, Huckabee or O.J. Simpson.

Will Guappone

sophomore

Fisher Hall

Jan. 28