Committee seeks funds for Midnight Madness

The head of the committee for Saint Mary's annual Midnight Madness, senior Noreen Sherred, sought funds for the event at Tuesday's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting. Midnight Madness, co-sponsored by the athletic department, is an annual night of games, food and door prizes inside the Angela Athletic Facility.

"[The event] brings the Saint Mary's community together and builds Saint Mary's pride," said Sherred, who is also the athletic commissioner.

This year, the event will be run by students more than in the past, she said.

"Midnight Madness is put on to reward the women for all of the service they give the community throughout the year," Sherred said.

And it's only fair that they are in charge of it, she said.

The committee for the event has sent out letters and is currently receiving donations for prizes, Sherred said. However, it still needs more funding for food and decorations. The usual stipend from the athletic department has been cut back this year because the department believes it shouldn't spend too many resources on events that aren't specifically for Saint Mary's athletes, she said.

In other BOG news:

- Student body president Kim Hodges announced there will be a birthday party for Father Basil Moreau, founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross, on Feb. 11 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the dining hall.

- Sister Pushpa Teresa Gomes will be speaking at the first leadership lunch of the semester on Feb. 11 at noon in the Student Center, chief of staff Sarita Fritzler said.

- The president of the Student Diversity Board, Abby Henchy, said the Diversity Student Leadership Conference (DSLC) will be held Feb. 13-15. Issues such as immigration, women in business and socio-economic injustices, among other topics, will be covered.

- Elections for the new leadership of the Student Diversity Board and the Residence Hall Association will be held Feb. 11, said Maggie Siefert, elections commissioner. Sarah Barnes and Andriana Rodriguez are running for president of the Student Diversity Board and Maura Claugherty and Shannon Egan for the Residence Hall Association. There will be a chance to meet the candidates on Thursday at 6:30 in the west wing of the dining hall.