Denim sale raises funds for hospital

Katie Kohler | Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon pilot charity project “Charity Denim,” which took place today, attracted nearly 400 students from Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s and raised more than $1,200 for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, fundraising chair Maura Clougherty said.

Charity Denim sold discounted designer jeans from 40 to 70 percent off their original price. The California-based company is a non-profit corporation that partners with philanthropic organizations, colleges and other charitable organizations.

Dance Marathon charged $1 admission to see the jeans and raised $350 from admission alone. Sales from jeans and T-shirts raised $977, Clougherty said.

“The entire total from today is going directly toward the total amount we are donating to Riley from Dance Marathon,” she said.

Clougherty, a junior at Saint Mary’s, said she didn’t know what to expect from the fundraiser.

“We wanted to raise as much as we could and it went much better than I thought it could go,” Clougherty said. “Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s was the perfect place to have it because everyone loves designer clothes, but we can’t always afford them with books and other college expenses.”

In Indianapolis, an average of $9 per pair went toward the profit, which equals about 10 percent of the total jean cost. One hundred and four pairs of jeans were sold, along with 42 T-shirts and designer jackets, Clougherty said.

Due to its success, Clougherty is looking forward to welcoming Charity Denim back next year.

“There are a few things we’d like to see happen differently, like having more guys come, but overall, it was amazing,” Clougherty said. “We are thinking about doing it once in the fall and once in the spring next year.”

While the event started at 2 p.m., students were lined up by 1, Clougherty said.

Clougherty heard about the event through a friend from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio who participated through her sorority.

“My friend and I pass ideas back and forth and when she told me about this, I thought Saint Mary’s would be a great place to do it,” she said.

Charity Denim offered jeans from a number of brands including 7 For All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, True Religion, Antik, Blue Cult, Joe’s Jeans, Miss Sixty and Yanuk.

The Dance Marathon will be held on April 4.