Football: Ten-year radio contract inked with ISP Sports

After nearly 40 years with Westwood One, Notre Dame football will have a new radio broadcast partner this fall.

Associate athletic director John Heisler said Friday Irish games will be carried by ISP Sports for the next ten seasons.

Westwood One had carried Notre Dame football since 1968.

Heisler said Notre Dame didn't seriously consider a shorter contract for its new partner, saying the athletic department was "extremely comfortable" with ISP Sports and the 10-year deal.

Heisler said that while it isn't clear how many and which stations will carry Notre Dame games in various markets, he's hoping that most affiliates from last season will continue to broadcast the Irish.

"One of the questions will be, when you just look at the affiliation aspect of it, I think there would be a natural hope that a great number of the stations that have carried our games would continue to do that," he said.

Heisler also said he isn't sure who the announcing duo will be. Last season, Don Criqui and former Irish running back Allen Pinkett called the games for the Westwood One broadcasting network.

Heisler did say Notre Dame would have an "advisory role" in choosing the announcers.

"That's a decision that will be made down the road by ISP. I think our intention was for our role to be similar to what it was in Westwood One," he said.

ISP owns the broadcast rights for over 40 other schools, but Heisler said in a statement Friday that "Notre Dame remains the only college football program to have its games broadcast on a truly national radio network."