Members approve '08-'09 treasurer

The Council of Representatives (COR) met Tuesday for the first time since Feb. 5 to approve current Student Union Board treasurer Kadeja Gaines for the same position next year.

The meeting was delayed an hour and a half because only 11 council members showed up - one member short of quorum, the minimum number of representative needed to hold a vote. Student body president Liz Brown, however, insisted on delaying the meeting rather than canceling it because Gaines needed to be approved before March 1.

If the Council had not met, it would have marked the fourth time in five weeks that a meeting did not take place. This semester, the Council has only met four times. Brown has cited sickness, not having enough voting members and a lack of issues as the reasons for canceling the last three meetings.Brown declined to further comment on the situation.

The Council approved Gaines unanimously during the rescheduled meeting. Normally, one of the treasurer's assistants from the previous year takes over the position, but both of Gaines' assistants are studying abroad this semester, and the incoming treasurer takes over on March 1.

Because Gaines is only a junior, she decided to hold the position again next year.

In other COR news:

- The representatives unanimously voted to approve the Financial Management Board's reallocation of funds for the Student Union's budget. This year's budget resulted in a surplus of $10,972.32, which Gaines said would be made available to the class councils and extracurricular clubs.

Whatever amount of money is left over will be put into the technology fund for student organizations, Gaines said.