Men’s Lacrosse: No. 10 Irish face Albany

Griffin Dassatti | Thursday, February 28, 2008

Notre Dame will hope to rekindle some of last week’s first-quarter magic when it takes on No. 13 Albany at home Saturday at 1 p.m.

In their first home game of the season, the Irish leapt out to a 6-0 lead in the first quarter against Penn State before settling down to a comfortable 15-9 win over the Nittany Lions. Notre Dame coach Kevin Corrigan said he was happy with his team’s performance in the first home game of the season. He only hopes they can repeat their early dominance in the coming games.

“We’d like to bottle that and see if we could do it every week,” Corrigan said. “We were handling the ball really well and we won a lot of face-offs. I think we were up 3-0 before they had the ball at the offensive end of the field … and when you’re playing make it take it it’s a whole lot easier.”

Now the Irish, ranked No. 10 in the Nike/Inside Lacrosse rankings, will take on Albany – a team that Corrigan thinks will present a unique challenge for his team, especially coming off a win against the annual foe Penn State.

“[Albany is] a different team,” he said. “They have a very unique style. The challenge isn’t just in the level of their talent but also in the style of their play. You don’t play a lot of people who play that way.”

Corrigan said the Irish will look to defend against Albany’s aggressiveness on both the offensive and defensive ends of the field. They will also have to watch out for Great Danes senior goalkeeper Brett Queener, a preseason honorable-mention All-America by Inside Lacrosse, who Corrigan said is prone to a unique style.

“[He’s] all over the field,” Corrigan said of Queener. “He carries the ball up the field to create transitions and will even come out and double-team people.”

Still, Corrigan said, the one of the biggest challenges the Irish will face against the Great Danes is not having to be prepared to counter Albany’s game plan, but rather being able to implement their own.

“The trick is to [prepare] while not losing your own identity,” he said. “It’s not just trying to go up against somebody else, it’s remembering what you do and dictating what you want to do. If we’re doing things right in preparing for people we’re trying to understand [them] and what they’re good at and we’re learning to execute our stuff.”