-

-

ND Women’s Golf: Irish struggle, come in 10th in first competition of spring

Michael Blasco | Wednesday, February 20, 2008

No. 19 Notre Dame stumbled out of the gate in its opening tournament of the spring schedule, finishing 10th in a field of 15 at the Central District Invitational in Parrish, Fla.

The Irish carded a 314 in the final round en route to a season-worst total score of 929, ending up at 65-over-par in 54 holes at the River Wilderness Golf Club.

Notre Dame coach Susan Holt said she was disappointed with the Irish squad.

“We beat ourselves,” Holt said. “I was shocked with how we played. I think we lacked focus and discipline and that hurt us. We didn’t pay attention to detail and hopefully it’s a wake-up call.”

Host No. 23 Michigan State cruised to a comfortable 10-stroke victory, shooting 303 in the final round to lead the field with an overall 892.

No. 25 Texas A&M made a final-round push, shooting a 298, to climb to second overall with a 902. Only two strokes separated the rest of the top five, rounded out by No. 14 Kent State (912), No. 37 Ohio State (913), and No. 31 Texas (914).

Michigan State’s Sara Brown took home top-golfer honors, finishing the tournament with the only sub-par score of the tournament, a four-under 212. Her pair of 70s on Monday were the lowest two scores for the week.

Monday afternoon’s respectable team score of 300 indicated that the Irish could rebound from their slow start, but a final-round 314 on Tuesday dashed any hopes of matching the team’s earlier successes.

“I was happy with [Monday] afternoon because we held our composure after the first round,” Holt said. “Plus we didn’t play that bad in the windy and rainy conditions. We put ourselves in a good position heading into today, but we couldn’t continue that momentum.”

Notre Dame junior Lisa Maunu led the Irish in scoring for the third time this season, shooting a 12-over-par 228, tied for 15th overall. Her Monday afternoon 74 was the low round of the week for the Irish.

Freshman standout So-Hyun Park trailed Maunu by one stroke, finishing up with a 13-over-par 229, tied for 18th overall. Fellow freshman Katie Conway added a final round 78 to end the tournament with a 17-over-par 233, tied for 31st overall.

Sophomores Annie Brophy and Kristin Wetzel both shot 80s on Tuesday to finish up with 239 and 243, tied for 50th and 61st respectively.

Notre Dame next hits the links at the Rio Verde Collegiate Invitational, which will be held March 7-9 in Scottsdale, Ariz.