SMC Swimming: Belles look to rebound at home versus Hornets

Saint Mary's will look to get back to winning tonight when it takes on Kalamazoo College in its only home meet of the year.

The Belles have dropped their previous three matches and hope their fortunes will shift in tonight's meet. Belles coach Ryan Dombkowski thinks his team has a chance to come away with a victory - though it won't be easy.

"I think we'll need to swim out of [our] minds to win, but that's what you're trying for every day. So, anything could happen," Dombkowski said.

The Belles have been posting solid times lately, but the swimmers will have to strive for faster races. Dombkowski said Kalamazoo is "probably a much deeper team, if you look at past results on paper" and has a returning All-American in swimmer Katie Stefl.

Still, he thinks his team will field some close matchups.

"We'll be competitive in most of the events," Dombkowski said. "So digging deep to find that little bit extra during the last few yards is going to mean a lot in a meet like this."

Dombkowski sees the race as a warm-up for the MIAA swimming and diving championships that will take place Feb. 13-16.

"We want to use this as an opportunity to work on our race strategies," Dombkowski said. "Improve some of the finer points of our technique - starts, turns, etc. - and really get prepared for our conference meet coming up in two weeks."

Tonight's meet against Kalamazoo begins at 7.