Students welcome break

Katie Peralta | Thursday, February 28, 2008

Whether it’s a week-long respite from the Indiana tundra in the tropical climates of Florida and Mexico or participating in one of the Center for Social Concerns (CSC) service seminars or Campus Ministry retreats, many Notre Dame students will leave campus during the spring break, which begins Saturday.

The CSC offers diverse service opportunities for students during spring break. From community-based learning in several Southeastern states as part of the CSC’s Appalachia seminar locations to exploring American health care problems in Washington, D.C., students are able to move out of the classroom and into the real world.

Jessie Jenkins, a Lewis sophomore, plans to attend an Appalachia Seminar in Harlan County, Va., during the week off from school. While she admits that it is tempting to relax on a beach, she says she looks forward to the service opportunity.

“This is a good opportunity to get involved with the CSC,” Jenkins said. “I think this will be a new experience that will broaden my outlook on life.”

The CSC is also sponsoring an Ignatian Spirituality Silent Retreat from March 2-7 in Donaldon, Ind.

Other students are looking forward to unwinding at home.

McGlinn sophomore Sarah Rodts plans to return home to Oak Park, Ill., where she looks forward to catching up on sleep, shopping in Chicago and even doing some lagging schoolwork.

“I am looking forward to my best friend being home also,” Rodts said.

Other students will take to the (hopefully) sunny beaches.

Brian Price, a sophomore from Zahm, plans on escaping the cold weather of Indiana with a trip to Cancun with his friends over break

“I’m looking forward to the nice weather, the sunshine and the mamacitas,” Price said, referencing a slang word that harkens on the Spanish term for women.

Some students, however, choose to stay on campus during the break.

Although many buildings will close early during break, students remaining at Notre Dame still have a few options for keeping busy during the break.

RecSports’ facilities will open at 6 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. during the weekdays of break. Health Services, while still open during the break, will also have shortened hours.

Those hoping to catch up on work while staying campus can rest easy, knowing that the Hesburgh Library will maintain its usual hours during the weeklong vacation.

Both North and South Dining Halls will be closed, but students staying on campus can use the Huddle Mart and the restaurants in LaForunte Hall.

Students looking for some entertainment can take advantage of the shows and performances at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC). Showing in DPAC’s Browning Cinema Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights will be the Bob Dylan biopic “I’m Not There.” Two other movies playing at DPAC will be the documentary “Sharkwater” and the 1949 classic “Third Man.”

Other performances at the DPAC will include a French program by the South Bend Symphony Orchestra and a performance by the Hubbard Street Dance Company of Chicago.

All DPAC performance and show tickets are available for purchase online.

Briana Bower, a sophomore from Lyons who plans to stay on campus over the break, looks forward to relaxing in her dorm with her roommate over break.

“I cannot wait for catching up on sleep and not doing homework,” Bower said.

She said that she and her roommate, aware of the dining halls’ closing, have been stocking up on food for their room.

“We also plan on venturing out to LaFun and Reckers,” Bower said.

Another student staying on campus is Sorin senior Danny Nolan, who looks forward to not being busy for once.

“I will be staying here doing a lot of nothing,” Nolan said. “And I plan on eating a lot of Subway.”