Top editors selected for 2008-2009 term

Jay Fitzpatrick, Katie Kohler and Deirdre Krasula have been hired to help oversee The Observer editorial operations in 2008-09, incoming editor-in-chief Chris Hine announced Monday.

Fitz-patrick will be the managing editor, the No. 2 position at The Observer, while Kohler and Krasula will serve as assistant managing editors.

Fitzpatrick, a junior majoring in history and Arabic with a minor in journalism, ethics, and democracy, will assist Hine in managing all departments at The Observer. He said he will focus on improving the quality of writing and efficiency of day-to-day production at The Observer.

"When I first joined The Observer I never thought that I would have this chance to carry on the legacy of the paper."

Fitzpatrick, a resident of Dillon Hall from Catonsville, Md., began writing Interhall football in the fall of his freshman year and has covered various sports beats including football and women's basketball. For the past year he served as an associate sports editor.

Kohler, a junior at Saint Mary's majoring in political science, began writing for the news department in the fall of her freshman year and was Saint Mary's editor for the past year. Kohler is a native of Philadelphia, Pa., and will help oversee the news department.

"I'm glad to have been given this opportunity and look forward to taking on more responsibility at The Observer." Kohler said.

Krasula is a finance and English major from Rockville Centre, N.Y., and began working at The Observer in the fall of her freshman year. She covered women's basketball, baseball, softball, and men's tennis over the past two years.

"I'm excited and honored to taking on a new role at The Observer and look forward to this coming year," Krasula said.

Hine will take over as editor-in-chief Feb. 22 and Fitzpatrick, Kohler and Krasula will assume their new positions on March 10.