Unity at the Memorial mass

Letters to the Editor | Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thank You, Notre Dame

The question of Notre Dame’s “Catholic identity” has once again come to the fore with a reemergence of the “Monologues” debate.

I have nothing to say about that debate, but I do think that Notre Dame’s true Catholic colors have become apparent. And they did so at Tuesday night’s Memorial Mass for Timothy Aher and Connor McGrath. At the Mass, there were countless priests and so many people that the entire basilica was filled. People stood behind the altar and all around the baptismal fount, as persons far outnumbered seats. All came together around the Eucharistic Sacrifice and Banquet to pray for the repose of Timothy and Connor’s souls.

The Notre Dame family once again proved its uniting, Christ-like love centered on and in the Church. Through the tragic and heart-rending deaths of two of her own, Notre Dame was certainly tried “as gold is tested through fire.” What emerged was a truly striking, beautiful, and elegant example of Catholic identity in a university. Pope Benedict once called Notre Dame “a great Catholic University.” How could anyone disagree after recent events?

Therefore, let’s set aside our critical spirit once in a while and be grateful for just how great a place this is. And so let me be the first to say: thank you to all my fellow students. Thank you to all the faculty, staff, and priests. Thank you, Notre Dame.

Simon Carian

Morrissey Hall

Feb. 20