-

-

Unity crucial in big games

Letter to the Editor | Thursday, February 14, 2008

During the past two weeks, we have had the privilege of seeing three outstanding basketball games against Providence, DePaul and Marquette. We’ve solidified our place in the Big East, and Mike Brey has distinguished himself as one of the game’s best (and one of the classiest head coaches I have ever seen). Best of all, the excellence of our team and our coach has been provided to the national audience through ESPN. There’s been only one downside.

The Leprechaun Legion has also had many opportunities to display its spirit. However, I’ve noticed that the cameras love to watch us during the Celtic Chant (read: Uppercut Song). Now, many dedicated Zahmbies have had excellent, front-row seats during these games. We’re all familiar with the Zahm House tradition of forming an X with their forearms during the Chant. This gesture is totally inappropriate during a nationally televised basketball game. When the game is Zahm versus Dillon or Cavanaugh versus Howard, dorm loyalty is encouraged. But when it’s Notre Dame versus Marquette, the most important loyalty is to the Irish.

The national audience has no concept of PE or O’Neill; when they see some students not following the rest, it’s a sign of division and disunity. By making the X, Zahmbies are sending the message that they are more loyal to something besides Notre Dame. They are saying they’re more loyal to Zahm House than Our Lady’s University. So Zahmbies, please, don’t do that when the nation is watching. At pep rallies or interhall games or whatever, go ahead. Be proud of your dorm. But when we come together as a university, be loyal to your university. Be Zahmbies when you should be Zahmbies, and be Loyal Sons when you should be Loyal Sons. Then you can go back to your cheeky (when’s the Bun Run?) shenanigans that the rest of us find so annoyingly charming.

Just remember: it’s not God, Country, Stanford Hall, Notre Dame; it’s God, Country, Notre Dame. We are ND; let’s act like it.

Kyle Tennant

freshman

Stanford Hall

Feb. 10